MONTHLY DIGEST #32
Check out this curated list of Sweat Your Assets monthly content for August 2023.
An eye view of Stock Market Indicators, as of August 30, 2023:
[ this month | previous month | % changes over five years ].
- VIX (volatility index) – the fear gauge: 13.92 | 13.33 | +8.24% (low fear)
- S&P 500: 4,514.87 | 4,582.23 | + 55.60% (near record level high)
- S&P 500 P/E Ratio: 20.18 (Aug-2023)
- VTSAX – Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund: USD 109.10 | 110.85 | +49.31%
- BND – Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund: USD 71.63 | 72.29 | -9.69%
- VNQ – Vanguard REITS – Real Estate: USD 82.99 | 84.71 | -1.26%
- GLD – SPDR Gold Shares: USD 180.32 | 180.32 | +58.86%
Image 01: S&P500 Historical data from 1983 until 2023.
The US stocks, as well as the Total Stock Market, still enjoyed high prices despite growing concerns over Ukraine, China’s Real Estate Market, and Powell’s speech on interest rates in the US, Overall, the market is pretty “hot/expensive” and close to historical records (Image 01).
This month, I have introduced a new Indicator: the GLD – SPDR Gold Shares. While I embrace Jack Bogle’s view that Gold is NOT an investment, I have started introducing gold into my portfolio. Why?
I find it a suitable alternative to “cash” in my Portfolio. It could perform well in case of a stock market downturn. Secondly, I plan to sell it and buy more total Stock Index when its prices are more affordable (lower P/E ratio).
Overall, in the coming months, I will maintain the course. I will stay invested with my all-weather portfolio in the next quarter. Any upcoming bear market will only be a time for deals or portfolio re-balancing.
- AGAINST RISK. “There is no reason to risk what you have and need for what you don’t have and don’t need”. Morgan Housel [The Psychology of Money]
- PRO- RISK. “The biggest risk is not taking risks…in a world that is changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks”. Mark Zuckerberg
- RISK: “There is the risk you cannot afford to take, and there is the risk you cannot afford not to take”. Peter Drucker
What is Risk, and How to Measure it? Risk is a concept that plays a critical role in many areas of our lives. Understanding risk is essential to making effective choices, whether discussing financial investments, business decisions, or personal safety. Read More.
My latest Podcast show.
Until Next Month…Keep it Real and Sweat Your Assets.
Forwarded this Monthly Digest #32? Sign up here